Monday, February 04, 2013

Rilo Kiley B-Sides Collection RKives Track List Released

by Jay Allbritton
In an interview in 2011 with Spinner, Blake Sennett said this about a Rilo Kiley rarities collection, "I think we're going to try and release a two-disc set of 40 songs, or something. I think that can be more considered like our last release, to me. But I don't know."

The prospect of 40 songs was exciting, but any fanboy would have to be a fool to believe that such a wonderful thing could exist in this life. So, when I saw the tracklist for the vinyl, titled RKives, which is posted on Amazon, I wasn't the least bit surprised to see that there are only 16 tracks.

Here's they are:

1. Let Me Back In
2. It'll Get You There
3. Runnin' Around
4. All the Drugs
5. Bury, Bury, Bury Another
6. Well, You Left
7. Draggin Around
8. I Remember you
9. Dejalo (Zondo Remix Featuring Too $hort)
10. A Town Called Luckey
11. Emotional
12. American Wife
13. Patiently
14. Rest of my Life (demo)
15. About the Moon
16. The Frug

Of these, only six are songs that the RK fan community doesn't already know. "Let Me Back In" is most definitely the beloved track formerly known as "I Love LA," which the band played on their Austin City Limits appearance.

Tracks 2-6 and 8 are unheard. The demo version of the Sennett-fronted "Rest of My Life" is intriguing to be sure. The inclusion of any version of "Dejalo," is frustrating, but I must admit that I am curious to hear rapper and Lewis favorite Too Short's contribution.

The songs that are missing include proper studio versions of fan favorites from live sets--"Pull Me In Tighter" and "Room 8". Those remain the twin white whales of my music collection. It's also curious that one of the great RK b-sides, "Jenny, You're Barely Alive," from the Saddle Creek 50 compilation is nowhere to be found.

"Draggin' Around," "A Town Called Luckey," "Emotional," "American Wife," "Patiently," and "About the Moon" are all fine songs that most hard core fans gathered long ago. "The Frug" earned the band early air time on MTV and gives the record an early touchstone, but it is essentially a wasted spot.

What is so frustrating is the unshakable feeling that this is just the tip of the iceberg, but considering the state of the band, broken up or not, this is probably all we're going to get. Ever. Nevertheless, I will gladly take it and hope for the best.

Here's another one left off--"Xmas Cake"

1 comment:

Hector Diego said...

I'm ready for it! The omissions are puzzling, though.

Archive

Antique walrus print courtesy of FineRarePrints.Com