Saturday, October 04, 2008
by Hector Diego
From Yahoo News--
Obama has called for unconditional direct talks with the leaders of so-called rogue regimes like Iran and North Korea, assuming that groundwork laid by lower-level officials indicated that the top-level talks would be fruitful.
McCain has ridiculed the suggestion as naive.
Now we should know that Obama makes far more sense than McCain, but I'll bet that Obama would agree that we need even more than what he has proposed.
And what is that need? It's in the picture above. The 16th century Hindu saint Sri Chaitanya has a tradition similar to St. Francis of Assisi. Here is the Bengali sadhu dancing with the animals in the Jharikanda Forest, a large tract of wild land in north central India that in his day, must have been really wild.
That's right, I wrote "dancing with the animals." After all, when there is a forest fire they all run together, don't they? Similarly, when there is a means to relief from that fire, they run in that direction, don't they? Running to shelter from great danger is the same thing, right? But when they reached their destination, there was nothing to do but dance.
The shelter of the association with a saint is the key to getting great relief from the forest fire of material existence. Buddha compared this world to a fire because of the repeated round of birth and death.
So when we discover a path out of it, the guru has arrived before us. Then we can learn something.
The Sikhs call their temples Gurdwars, which means the guru's door (to God). But let's remember what George Harrison said.
"You don't need a churchhouse, you don't need a temple." I don't think he is saying that churches and temples aren't or couldn't be very wonderful things. I think he's just saying that where there's a will there's a way, the body is the natural temple of the Lord, etc.
Which brings us back to Sri Chaitanya. From my understanding of this particular Hindu cult, Sri Chaitanya and the animals and plants-due to his association-were experiencing the spiritual state of their bodies as temples of the Lord.
Only when people move in this direction can Obama's plans succeed fully--what to speak of his aspirations. That's because he is asking people to be good.
There has to be a spiritual revolution, which is what John Lennon was saying with "you better free your mind instead."
And I think Obama and the saints, Buddhas, etc. would agree.
So would the animals.
- ► 2013 (193)
- ► 2012 (1234)
- ► 2011 (1028)
- ► 2010 (1000)
- ► 2009 (1199)
- John Lennon, Love
- Shinedown, Simple Man
- Pearl Jam - Masters Of War
- Studs Terkel, 1912--2008
- The First Episode Of The Munsters
- Grateful Dead, Ripple
- Bobby "Boris" Pickett And The Crypt Kicker Five, M...
- Paul McCartney, Goodnight Tonight
- Bee Gees, Saturday Night Fever
- Madonna, Get Into The Groove
- Jenny Lewis And The Watson Twins
- Joan Jett, I Love Rock And Roll
- Liz Phair, Johnny Sunshine
- Where, Oh Where, Has Joe the Plumber Gone
- The Battle Hymn Of The Republic
- Jay Ungar's Ashokan Farewell
- Republicans For Obama
- Mosaic Whispers, Portions For Foxes
- Busy Night For Obama
- Beatles LP Countdown, She Loves You
- Another Reason To Not Eat Red Meat
- The Best Ever
- Michelle Obama on Leno
- Three from Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger Album
- A Man For All Seasons
- A Friend Of A Savage Is Also A Savage
- Eric Clapton, How Long Blues
- Johnny Winter Live, Jumping Jack Flash
- Lynyrd Skynyrd, That Smell
- Pretenders, Boots Of Chinese Plastic
- Ten Singers Who Could Stand In For Robert Plant on...
- Tommy James, Crystal Blue Persuasion
- The Best Election Poll Data Available
- Ravi Shankar, Chants Of India
- Moody Blues, Are You Sitting Comfortably
- Hindu Holiday Govardhana Puja Today
- Jimmie Rodgers, Kisses Sweeter Than Wine
- Glenn Yarbrough, Baby The Rain Must Fall
- Gary Lewis And The Playboys, Save Your Heart For M...
- Beatles LP Countdown
- Wassup 2008
- Real Love
- Three From Fleetwood Mac
- Jane's Addiction Reunite!
- Allied Radio - Sell Your Mother a Flag
- Rilo Kiley, Jenny You're Barely Alive
- Byrds, Eight Miles High
- Joy Division, Disorder
- Peter, Paul And Mary, Puff The Magic Dragon
- Jefferson Airplane, How Do You Feel
- Beatles LP Countdown, Not A Second Time
- Palin Is No Tightwad...
- Will Ferrell Endorses Tina Fey
- Andy, Opie And The Fonz Back Obama
- Amy Poehler Fills in For Sarah Palin
- Regina Spektor - Real Love (John Lennon Cover)
- Pierre de Reeder - That's The Way That It Was
- Amy Winehouse, In My Bed
- Cat Stevens, Morning Has Broken
- From The Unintentionally Great Monologues Series
- Nine Inch Nails -- The Wretched
- The Who, Won't Get Fooled Again
- Jenny Lewis - The Charging Sky
- Green Day Covers Lennon's Working Class Hero
- Led Zeppelin, Stairway To Heaven
- Beatles LP Countdown, Devil In Her Heart
- Jon Stewart's Good Arab Family Man
- Scare Tactics Are All McCain Has Left
- Camper Beethoven, Pictures Of Matchstick Men
- Donovan, Hurdy Gurdy Man
- Simon And Garfunkel, Bridge Over Troubled Water
- Elliot Smith Covers Isn't It A Pity
- Beef Risk Of Heart Attack Exported
- Emmanuel Jal, Shadow Of Death
- Blackalicious, Alphabet Aerobics
- Paul Butterfield Blues Band, I've Got A Mind To Gi...
- Ten Years After, Help Me
- Jimi Hendrix, Purple Haze
- Procul Harem, Lighter Shade Of Pale
- Vanilla Fudge, You Keep Me Hanging On
- Cream, Spoonful
- Hinduism Does Not Condemn A Pipeload
- Linda Ronstadt, Walk Away Renee
- Liz Phair, Divorce Song
- Rilo Kiley, Give A Little Love
- Vanessa Carlton, A Thousand Miles
- Joni Mitchell, Woodstock
- Ben E. King, Stand By Me
- Beatles LP Countdown, I Wanna Be Your Man
- Rilo Kiley, Under The Blacklight
- Proposition 2 Is Long Overdue
- Do You Really Want To Eat A Scalded Alive Chicken...
- KT Tunstall, Suddenly I See
- Elliot Smith Covers Lennon's Revolution
- The Elected - Not Going Home
- Here, There, And Everywhere
- Simon And Garfunkel, Mrs Robinson
- The Walrus Speaks Salutes Hillary Clinton
- Madeleine Peyroux - Between The Bars
- Paul Simon, Mother And Child Reunion
- Probama--The Affirmative Case
- Beatles LP Countdown, You've Really Got A Hold On ...
- Simpson's Writer Mimi Pond's Cartoon
- Obama Explains Pig Lipstick On Letterman
- LSU SUFFERS BAD KARMA IN GAINESVILLE, GOD PREVAILS...
- Blind Melon, Jena Kraus - Mouthful of Cavities
- Bob Dylan's 115th Dream
- Some McCain Christians Are Paranoid About Other Re...
- Cream, White Room
- Jimi Hendrix Experience Lulu Appearance
- Led Zeppelin, Stairway To Heaven
- Deep Purple Shreds Some Covers, Then Smoke On The ...
- Depeche Mode, John The Revelator
- Lehman Brothers Ringleader Unapologetic
- Obama At DNC 2004
- Jenny Lewis - Acid Tongue (Conan)
- Jewel - Who Will Save Your Soul
- My Email From VoteVets.org
- Sarah Palin And Tribal Politics
- Yoko Ono, Walking On Thin Ice
- Stevie Wonder, Superstition
- Cyndi Lauper, Higher Plane
- Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers, Don't Have To Liv...
- Harry And The Potters, The Foil (Malfoy)
- In My Life
- That One...That Won
- Tegan and Sara -- Call It Off
- Puts It All In To Perspective, Doesn't It?
- Turn Back the Clock
- Yael Naim -- New Soul
- Jenny Lewis, Acid Tongue
- Or Is It McCain Doing Yosemite Sam?
- Three from Thao Nguyen
- Can The Walrus Speaks Use The B Word?
- Bruce Springsteen, River
- Goo Goo Dolls, Broadway
- Pigface, Nutopia
- I'm Voting For "That One"
- Beatles Revolution Part Ten
- The Real John McCain Is No Maverick
- Rilo Kiley, Go Ahead
- Three from Ralph Stanley
- Joan Baez, Babe, I'm Going to Leave You
- Petula Clark, Chariot
- Paul Mauriat, Love Is Blue
- Claudine Longet, Love Is Blue
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Requiem Mass In D Minor
- The Doors, Feast Of Friends
- Nine Inch Nails, Something I Can Never Have
- Obama Releases Keating Economics Documentary
- Ringo On Peace And Love
- James Bond Theme
- Gary Chang, Dream Montage
- John McCain And The Keating Scandal
- Three From the Ditty Bops
- John McCain Says "The Fundamentals Of Our Economy ...
- Joni Mitchell, River
- Moody Blues, The Day Begins
- Blue Oyster Cult, Don't Fear The Reaper
- Krishna Das, Durga Puja
- Buddhas, Saints, Obama, And Animals
- Jane's Addiction - Ted, Just Admit It
- Ben Folds and Regina Spektor - You Don't Know Me
- Cyndi Lauper, Time After Time
- Homer Votes For Obama
- Here Comes The Sun
- Postal Service, Clark Gable
- Don't Vote
- Beatles LP Countdown, Hold Me Tight
- McCain's Temper Showing Frequently
- No Charges For Gonzales in Attorneys Purge
- Jenny Lewis - Black Sand (Atlanta)
- Woody Guthrie, Mean Talking Blues
- Grateful Dead, It Must Have Been The Roses
- Bob Marley, One Love
- ▼ October 2008 (176)
- ► 2007 (2122)
Antique walrus print courtesy of FineRarePrints.Com