Thursday, May 15, 2008
by Hector Diego
The Christ Family is not your average Christian group meeting once or twice a week for Bible study. They are led by a wild dude named Lightning Amen, headquartered out in Hemet, California. In 2004 I did my first offical ethnographical work as a university researcher by interviewing Amen and his merry band of vegan and reincarnation-believing Christ Brothers (and Sisters). They all have Christ as their last name, so that there is Gary Christ, Mary Christ, etc. I was attracted to this group because they would never eat an animal. I figured, at the very least they are right on that one.
Amen is an impressive speaker. He rambles all over the place, but his words have been known to move people to change their lives.
The Christ Family is a cult, and by cult I mean nothing negative. A religious cult is simply a religious group with ideas and values that contradict the norms of society. This is why I love cults.
Gary Christ, if you ever read this, please leave a comment. In the wind, brother.
- ► 2013 (200)
- ► 2012 (1234)
- ► 2011 (1028)
- ► 2010 (1000)
- ► 2009 (1199)
- Sam Cooke, Chain Gang
- Prince, When Doves Cry
- There's A Place
- Liz Phair, Extraordinary
- Prince is a Creep, a Wierdo, What the Hell is He D...
- New York Times Writer Says Eat Less Meat
- Dear Prudence, India
- John Lennon, Bless You
- Harrison On Smothers Brothers
- George Harrison, Blow Away
- Think For Yourself
- Strawberry Fields Forever
- Turlough Carolan, Carolan's Concerto
- Moody Blues, Nights In White Satin
- Youngbloods, Get Together
- Zombies, Time Of The Season
- Old School Imperialism
- Karma--What Goes Around Comes Around
- Texas Supreme Court Returns Abducted Children
- A Quick Wheel of Time Update
- Bad (Use of the Word) Karma--Sharon Stone Apologiz...
- Murdoch Thinks Obama Has This
- John Lennon, Mother
- Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight
- A Man, Me, Then Jim
- Four Seasons, Rag Doll
- M.A.S.H., Suicide Is Painless
- Drug War Hysteria Killed Rachel Hoffman
- KT Tunstall, Suddenly I See
- McClellan Rips His Old Buddies
- Liz Phair, Everything To Me
- JFK And Obama In Agreement
- Quicksilver Messenger Service
- Obama Success No Surprise...
- Rilo Kiley - Hail To Whatever You Found In The Sun...
- Memorial Mile 2008, Gainesville, Florida
- Obama Plans Windfall Tax
- Laundering Support--The Rapid Demise of the Evange...
- Jimi Hendrix Live, Foxy Lady, Winterland
- Cat Power, Baby Doll
- Get Your Poll Fix
- Dick Martin Dead At 83
- Rilo Kiley's Leftovers
- Roger Miller, King Of The Road
- Bob Dylan, My Back Pages
- The History of "Masters of War"
- Protesters are Terrorists Now
- Know Your Ayatollahs
- You Can't Do That
- Rightwing Fanatic To Station Agent--Take Obama And...
- Tell Me Something I Don't Know
- The Beta Band, Out-Side
- Ringo Says John Is In Heaven
- Texas Appellate Court: No Preemptive Strikes Allow...
- The Clash, Rock The Casbah
- Paul Plays Red Square
- Depends on What Your Definition of Vice President ...
- Barack Obama, The Man From IIlinois
- Crowded House Live, Fall At Your Feet
- Rilo Kiley, My Slumbering Heart
- Nonpoint is Alive and Kicking
- Paul Weeps For John
- Pay Them No Mind
- Neil Young, Only Love Can Break Your Heart
- McCain Advisor Says Obama Administration Would Sen...
- Oprah Tries Vegan Diet
- Sarah McLachlan, Blackbird
- More Lies From Hillary And Her Supporters
- Andres Segovia, The Legend
- Eric Clapton, Classical Gas
- BB King-Al Green, Take Me To The River
- Brooke Benton, Rainy Night In Georgia
- Bread, If
- Quite a Turnout
- Narasimha Stotram
- Chris Matthews Gloats About Destroying Kevin James...
- Dionne Warwick, Do You Know The Way To San Jose
- Barack "Rocky" Obama
- Brother Sun, Sister Moon
- Eddie Vedder, Hard Sun
- Ultravox, My Sex
- John Lennon, Instant Karma
- Let It Be
- John Lennon, Give Peace A Chance
- Belfast Harp Orchestra, My Heart Will Go On
- Rilo Kiley, Small Figures In A Vast Expanse
- McCartney Displeased with Lexus
- The Station Agent's Hood
- McCain Was For Talking to Hamas Before He Was Agai...
- Burning Spear, Slavery Days
- Bob Marley Live, Concrete Jungle
- Christ Family, Trust In The Lord
- Bob Dylan, Love Minus Zero/No Limit
- I Am The Walrus
- Neko Case, Hold On, Hold On
- Bhagavad Gita Introduction
- Ramayana, Prince of Light
- The Addams Family
- The Munsters Theme Song
- ▼ May 2008 (179)
- ► 2007 (2122)
Antique walrus print courtesy of FineRarePrints.Com